Splatoon 2 fans sifted through the code of the most recent update to the game, where they discovered some of the upcoming content for the game. The list includes maps, weapons, and more.
There are currently two maps in development according to the data, and Nintendo is apparently working on revamping other maps. New Salmon Run levels are also in development, codenamed Shakehouse and Threepoints.
Here’s what a Redditor found:
- Incomplete files for revamped versions of Kelp Dome and Blackbelly Skatepark have been introduced in the 1.1.1 update
- There are additional maps named Line and Tunnel which are in development
- Placeholder images for maps revealed in the Direct named Kawa and Pillar are present. (thanks to the people at TCRF!)
- Nintendo is including testing versions of Shifty Station in the updates; however, for Splatfest the game downloads the real stage model and layout file separately. This explains why the existing files include debug and test objects.
- The developers are currently testing new Salmon Run stages with internal names of Shakehouse and Threepoints. New files for these maps have been introduced in the 1.1.1 update as well. These are the last of the 4 planned stages for Salmon Run as of version 1.0.0.
- Grizzco brand weapons are in the works. A Blaster, Charger, and Brella were found in the files.
- A new weapon type called the Squeezer is in development. Here is Sheldon’s explanation text for the Squeezer and an alternate version of it.
- You can find more about upcoming weapons on the full Splatoon 2 weapons list. (Thank you Lean for providing this service!)
- What was known as the player’s gender from the original Splatoon has now been replaced by a parameter called PlayerType.
- Another parameter called PlayerType shares the same values as another parameter, ModelType.
- The possible values for these parameters are SquidGirl, SquidBoy, and Oct.
- Near those values, we have found an additional value named OctBoy. This is based solely on information found in the Splatoon 2 executable; we do not have models, text, etc for boy Octolings at the moment.
- Additonally, since the values of PlayerType and ModelType are shared, we cannot confirm that the Octolings will be playable either without testing in-game (which isn’t possible for any of us to do).
Nintendo hasn’t announced any of this new content, but we should see it sooner than later, given how fast they have been releasing Splatoon 2 content after the game launched last month.